Wednesday 8 May 2013

Will you be blown away by Tom Cruise's Oblivion?

 
Forewarning: Worry not, I will not give any of the plot away that would not be shown in an advert.
 
Frankly the answer is no. You may be confused, disjointed and somewhat on the edge (not quite off your seat ), but not 'blown away'.
However, if you're still deciding on what orange Wednesday film to see do not rule this one out.
In terms of  'America saves the world again- guns, prostitutes and more guns' action films which are so popular (why) this film has far more creative flare. It does not revolve around Tom Cruise shooting everything in sight despite the above picture. However, the creativity in this film is limited, the 'shocks and twists' are not quite  at Sixth Sense level. Although I did not expect the plot twists to occur once they did happen I had that faint feeling of de ja vu ... like I'd seen it all before- with that other actor guy, like Tom Cruise, maybe even him. You get the drift, not quite Vanilla Skies.
My favourite part of the film was Tom zooming around his ship Top Gun style. The fact I keep referring to Tom as Tom rather than his character's name, is simply because I cannot remember the name! Jack maybe? This shows the level of connection I felt to the characters!
The characters themselves did not seem to have any real chemistry. Tom and his love interest (remains nameless in my mind) seemed to show nothing for each other apart from coldness! Apart from the ginger bird who clearly fancied the pants of Tom, on screen chemistry was low which for me always weakens a film as it removes it's believability.
 
However, despite this I was left thinking about the film after I left the cinema ( a late night showing which must have made approximately 24 quid by the empty cinema seats!) For me this is the sign of a good film, a film that leaves you wondering after the credits. Oblivion does touch on some real human feelings and the nature of humanity that big corporal American action films can't quite catch these days. And if you're not a film nerd like me, the twists and turns will be genuinely shocking and exciting!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment