Monday 25 March 2013

Does Oz the Great and Powerful live up to expectations?

With a budget of $215, 000, 000 you'd expect this film to stand out!
However, does it this film live up to the mark?

Firstly, I am a huge Wizard of Oz fan, so I loved the black and white old school start to the film! I literally felt like I was watching an old school black and white movie... granted with better banter and irony. I was waiting for the Dorothy-esque ending... 'and you were there and you...', but luckily it never happened!


James franco was absolutely brilliant as Oz and a completely loveable character. His cheeky smile will get hearts racing! I also love the fact that the director didn't cast a 'wacky' Johnny Depp style actor for Oz and opted for a more normal, lady's man instead!
 Oz's banter with his assistant and efforts with the ladies had everyone laughing in the cinema, especially the Dad's that got dragged along with the family.

The transition from the real world to Oz was terrifying and I couldn't take my eyes off the screen! I was convinced Oz was going to die! (Ridiculous as we all know the story!) But I was! And then the film's visual effects really took of! Oz was breath taking... that is the only way to describe it.

Now for the down side.. ironically Mila kunis' part in the film is one the main reasons I wanted to see the film (apart from my love of all things wizard) as I think she is a great actress and was excited to see her in a new role. However for me she just didn't pull it off. Her character was pretty complex in terms of fairy tale characters and I just don't think she could pull of that complexity. But in saying that she adds a nice amount of eye candy for the blokes so I wouldn't sack her off just yet.

The best aspect of the film was it's ability to question who's good and who's bad, and question whether there ever really is a distinction between the two. This is where the film's strength lies, which is why Mila's bad portrayal of her character does lessen the film. Also the cackle... hush.

Ohhh.... and I must add Michelle Williams was brilliant as Glinda! I loved her in Blue Valentine and literally could not believe she was playing this role. But she pulled it out of the bag and increased my girl crush on her massively.

Overall, it's well worth a watch, especially in the cinema for the visual effects. However, it didn't quite live up to my expectations, as I don't think the characters complexities were well presented enough. But that might just be my over analytical mind on overload ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment